Rabina is an experienced political figure and both her background and skills will give us the representation Kensington needs. Help us get Rabina to Parliament as your new MP.
In the recent European elections Rabina stood as one of our candidates, and helped us move from 1 MEP to 16, with that record-breaking win here in Kensington.
As one of the most influential politicians in the troubled East London borough of Tower Hamlets, Rabina serves as a Liberal Democrat councillor and ran a close second in the Mayoral campaign.
Described as ‘assertive without being strident,’ Rabina is regarded as an outstanding councillor by residents, regardless of their faith or political beliefs. Rabina is the only Tower Hamlets councillor to survive the political turmoil of the Lutfur Rahman administration when she was Cabinet Member for Housing and was re-elected in Shadwell ward for the third successive time.
We’re delighted Rabina’s talents are now coming to Kensington.
Rabina was the first Muslim woman to hold the portfolio for Housing and Regeneration and was central to the creation of 4500+ new homes in London. Those key regeneration projects won both the Sunday Times Award for most improved borough and the Planning Award for the London project “Whitechapel Vision”.
Achievements in politics
- 2014: Winner of the European Diversity Award
- 2014: Whitechapel Vision wins Silver at the National Planning Awards https://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-committees/olympic-paralympic-legacy/copl150713ev14cr.pdf
- 2013: Rabina’s borough won the winner of the Code of Sustainable Homes Awards – most CSH Homes delivered
- 2013: Winner of The Andrew Ludlow Homelessness Awards for managing homelessness in the borough with a particular focus on young people
- 2013: Delivering the Ocean Estate Regeneration Project: Winner of the Sunday Times Award
- 2009: Shortlisted for the European Muslim Women of Influence Award: the National UAE covered Rabina’s work around dispelling myths and stereotypes about the Hijab, bringing Muslim and non-Muslim women together. Rabina was shortlisted for the European Muslim Woman of Influence Award
- 2009, Rabina was part of a delegation to Bangladesh, organised by the British Government’s Foreign Office as part of their Counter Terrorism strategy.
- 2004: Tower Hamlets Civic Award
- Winner of the Excellence in Equality and Diversity Award – THH
- LGS Social Housing Equality Framework – THH assessed as excellent